English 8 Advanced Studies—Syllabus
Mrs. Smith 2011-2012
This is a general overview of what we will cover this year in English 8 A.S. Please realize this is GENERAL. We will cover everything that is listed here, but we may add more material as the year goes on.
You may not have homework assigned every night. However, you will have assignments to work on. You may be responsible for reading chapters in a book, studying for vocabulary and spelling quizzes, working on a project, or finishing up a unit in your literature book. You will know about assignments and their due dates weeks in advance. You will need to learn how to balance these long term assignments with our work in class as well as assignments from your other classes. Your work is your responsibility.
If at any point your find you are experiencing difficulties with the class or assignments, you are confused, or need help please let me know. I do not want you to get behind or frustrated. I cannot help you unless I know there is a problem.
I will be giving you Latin Roots and vocabulary words weekly. Latin Roots quizzes will be given on Tuesdays. The packet for the new roots is due each Wednesday. Since I want you to learn the roots, after three sections of roots there will be a cumulative test including all three sections of roots. Vocabulary quizzes will be on Fridays. New words will be given out on Friday after the test. A cumulative vocabulary test will occur after every six lists.
Each day there will be a bell ringer at the beginning of class. When you arrive in the classroom you will begin the bell ringer. Many days this will be a journal entry. Each student needs a notebook (composition or spiral bound) to be used for this class only. It will be left in my classroom to use for bell ringer journal entries.
English 8 A.S.
Marking Period 1:
· (8.4) Vocabulary: lessons 1-3
· (8.4) Latin Roots: lessons 1-6
· (8.5)Treasure Island
· (8.1 8.7) Essays 1 & 2
· (8.5) Literature Unit 2: Meeting Challenges
· (8.2 8.5) Novel Study
· (8.8) Grammar: Nouns and Pronouns
Marking Period 2:
· (8.4) Vocabulary: lessons 4-9
· (8.4) Latin Roots: lessons 7-12
· (8.5) Literature Unit 9: Poetry
· (8.2 8.6) Freedom Writers
· (8.5) The Lightning Thief
· (8.7) Essay 3
· (8.5) Outside reading: Down a Dark Hall
· (8.8) Grammar: Sentence fragments and run-ons
Marking Period 3:
· (8.4) Vocabulary: lessons 10-13
· (8.4) Latin Roots: lessons 13- 18
· (8.5) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
· (8.2 8.5) Drama: The Diary of Anne Frank
· (8.7) Essay 4
· (8.2 8.5) Novel Study
· (8.8) Grammar: Verbs- action and linking
Marking Period 4:
· (8.4) Vocabulary: lessons 14-15
· (8.4) Latin Roots: lessons 19-24
· (8.5) Star Girl
· (8.5) Literature Unit: Poetry
· (8.5 8.6 8.7) Poetry Projects
· (8.5) Outside Reading: The Westing Game
· (8.8) Grammar: Adjectives and adverbs