US/VA Government Syllabus- SY 2011-2012
Bath County High School
Textbook: “United States-Democracy in Action”
THIS COURSE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE STANDARDS OF LEARNING END OF COURSE TESTING.
You must PASS this class to graduate.
Methods of Evaluation
1. Tests/ quizzes
a. Tests will be announced. Quizzes may or may not be announced.
a. Projects will be assigned and graded as a test or a quiz grade.
3. Classwork /homework
a. Classwork /homework will be assigned. A grade will be given for each assignment.
b. Student participation is VERY important in this class.
Cheating will be handled as described as in the student handbook.
Grading scale is attached.
Expectations for classroom behavior are attached.
3. Pens and pencils
4. Three ring binder
Unit/Chapters to be covered:
First nine weeks:
1. Chapter 1- People and Government
2. Chapter 2-Origin of the American Government
3. Chapter 3- The Constitution
4. Chapter 13- Constitutional Freedom
5. Chapter 14- Citizenship and Equal Justice
6. Chapter 15- Americans and the Law
Second nine weeks:
1. Chapter 16 – Political Parties
2. Chapter 17- Elections and Voting
3. Chapters 23 – Structure and function of State Government
4. Chapter 24—Structure and function of Local Government
Third nine weeks:
1. Financial Literacy
2. Chapter 4- Federal System
3. Chapter 5/6/7- Legislative Branch
4. Chapter 8/9/10- Executive Branch
Fourth nine weeks:
1. Chapter 8/9/10- Executive Branch
2. Chapter 11/12-- Judicial Branch
3. Chapter 25/26- World Political Systems
We will make any adjustments in this syllabus as necessary.
ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT ME!